September is National Childhood Obesity Awareness and Prevention Month and here at Big Wave, we like to seize the opportunity to eat healthy every day! Stop by the farm after school or work and clip some lettuce, kale, and pull some beets and radishes. They are ready to be eaten!
Roasted Beet and Three Radish Salad
- 2 lbs. beets, preferably golden, scrubbed
- 1 ½ cups grated daikon radish
- 1 ½ cups grated red or purple radishes
- ¼ cup grated fresh horseradish or 2 Tbs. prepared horseradish
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 lb. mizuma greens
- ¾ lbs. arugula
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs. tamari
- 1 tsp. rice vinegar
- Zest of 2 limes (1 rounded tsp.)
- 2 (8-oz.) pkgs. tempeh, cut into 1⁄2-inch dice
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place beets on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Roast 1 hour, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, make marinade. In small bowl, combine all marinade ingredients until well blended. Set aside.
- Remove beets from oven. When cool enough to handle, remove skins. Slice beets and place in shallow baking dish. Stir marinade and pour over beets. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- To serve: In small bowl, combine daikon, red radishes, horseradish, lemon juice and salt. Wash greens and arrange mizuma toward outer edge of individual salad plates. Tear arugula into bite-size pieces and place in center of each plate. Arrange 3 or 4 beet slices on arugula and top with radish mixture.
recipe taken from: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/roasted-beet-and-three-radish-salad/